Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vegan Baking (which nearly rhymes when said in my accent...)

Very quick post today. 
Made some chocolate apricot almond cookies which were wonderful (better warm than cold though.)


I then made pineapple and carrot muffins (again...can't remember if I've already posted a pic of them, so forgive me if this is a repeat!). 



And I turned out the vegan "cheese" and took it along to the lovely afternoon tea at my dear friend's house.

It is really only "cheese" in the fact that you can cut it and stick it on crackers. Otherwise, I would say it tastes more like the old Kiwi favourite dip, made of Nestles Reduced Cream and a packet of Maggi Onion Soup, with a dash of vinegar - solidified....

If I ever make it again, I wouldn't put in the onion - I would put in a selection of fresh herbs instead. I think that would raise it from "ho-hum" to "give me more" status. 

As for other food today, lunch was the standard wholemeal spaghetti with Puttanesca Sauce (without the anchovies, naturally), and leftover tapioca pudding (very starchy meal!), and I didn't bother with dinner. Bonus, because that means what was meant for dinner tonight will be dinner tomorrow night! It will have to be...otherwise it would need to be tossed, and I am not going to start wasting food like that! Actually, am now thinking it might be my lunch, and I will make something else for dinner...

On to the weekly menu planning now! 


2 comments:

HeatherV said...

the chocolate cookies were DELICIOUS!!! I definitely need the recipe!!!

JoGillespie said...

Yay, a comment, a comment! Thanks! I will get it to you, post-haste! Am looking forward to making them with raspberry jam as the recipe says, but I think I'll leave out the almond essence next time.