Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Twelve (?? I think...I'm losing count)

I had a few minutes to spare this morning (by accidentally getting up fifteen minutes early!), and decided to get a head-start on dinner. There were mushrooms which needed using, so out came my well-loved copy of the great Kiwi classic - Meals Without Meat, by another great Kiwi classic, Alison Holst

I don't know why the photo is sideways - I've tried several times to change it, and it refuses, so please just tilt your head slightly to one side.


Alison has a recipe for Mushroom Burgers, which I've loved forever (well, for the last 18 years, anyway), but it needed some tweaking to make it vegan. Here is my adapted version:

3 shallots, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
300gr mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tsp potato flour or cornstarch
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp miso paste

Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they turn soft and dark. Tip the mixture into a bowl or food processor (I find it much easier in the processor) and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well, then with wet hands, make burger patties (I got 14 small ones, but if you're making them for burger buns, make 6-8). 

Cook in a little oil, using a non-stick pan, until lightly browned on both sides. 


I served them with the left-over rice salad from last night, plus fresh salad, and fruit to finish. Very tasty.

(lunch - we're not talking about lunch today. Thursdays! Fruit, rice crackers and peanut butter...spread out over the day during ten minute breaks here and there....oh, I did talk about it after all!).

I also wanted to mention the need, during the first days of a vegan diet, for DIGESTIVE ENZYMES, if you don't want to gross yourself or your friends out while that intestinal flora gets itself sorted...
My health-food guru-guy recommended Nutrizym, and it is working wonders! 





No comments: