Sunday, January 16, 2011

I can't NOT post my menu plan...

Today we had another rustic family picnic. I made the Sunshine Carrot-Pineapple muffins from The Veganomicon. I didn't have soy yoghurt in the house (and doubt I ever will because I can't stand the stuff!), so substituted a banana (thanks to my friend Rowena for this vegan tip!).
I had great luck with the new grain (Grano Capelli Arkrux) in the mill, and made a cup and a half of wonderful tasting flour in about 3 minutes. The muffins turned out really well. I also made a simple bean salad, and took a loaf of wholemeal bread, some fresh fruit salad, and some mandarins. A perfect picnic, and all vegan.

Sunday night is egg night in our house - a tradition which dates back to at least my childhood, but perhaps even to my mum and dad's. So the kids had their eggs on toast, hubby had his cup of tea (don't ask...!), and I needed something a little more interesting and tasty. There is some fresh fennel in the fridge, and at first I thought about a carrot and fennel soup, but then realised that the broccoli I bought on Tuesday really needed using. I whipped out the Veganomicon again and found Broccoli-Potato Soup with fresh herbs. Just the ticket - and my daughter had gone foraging with her Nonna and had brought back some fresh fennel fronds, which I used instead of the dill that the recipe called for. It was wonderful - a delicious, warming, chunky soup, filled with green goodness. I was greedy, and had a couple of slices of bruschetta (white bread, shock, horror! But good Italian salt-free white bread, from the local bakery. No preservatives, no nasties - if you don't count the commercial bleached white flour, that is!).

Fruit to finish, and that was Day Eight. Goodness from start to finish, and I feel joy, joy, joy, down in my heart!

No comments: