Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day Eighteen - Oh so busy...

On days where there is just SO much to do, I just get SO much done :-) I love that!

I wanted to try making bread with my new grain (so far I've only used it for muffins). It was great! Wholemeal flour though - perhaps I needed a little more yeast? Or a little more rising time? It was a bit too chewy for our tastes - heavy, not light bread (but then...it IS wholemeal...). It was also a little too sweet for me - I used agave syrup instead of honey (of course - honey is not vegan friendly), and I probably should have halved the dose. However, hubby ate two rolls, and the kids loved theirs!



I thought they looked pretty cute and wholesome :-)

Another thing on my to-do list for today was making more soy milk. I'm still using the recipe from the aforementioned "Meals Without Meat" (yay, Ms Holst!), but I might just try another one next time - one where you soak the beans for a bit longer. However, it turned out much better this time - and I didn't bother adding any flavourings - not even cane sugar. I want to be able to use it in cooking, and it is better if there is no sugar in it. There was more, but one of the bottles exploded - the soy milk was too hot, and I poured it in too quickly. I think I lost about a cup and a half.

Lunch was the leftover couscous from last night, which I turned into a kind of cold pilaf, with chopped sun-dried tomatoes, capers, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and some walnut pieces. I also had a plate of steamed broccoli :-) And some kiwifruit. And some mandarins. (and I wonder why the pounds are not just melting away!).

Dinner was a different kind of burger - they were supposed to be sausages, but didn't want to form sausage shapes. Then I realised we had two meals practically the same in the space of a week - which is a reminder of WHY I should/must do weekly menu plans!! So a black-bean burger (15oz can black beans, drained, a cup of finely chopped fresh mushrooms, half cup of flour (I used a mix of oat and potato), some tomato paste, some garlic, some dried herbs, a tsp of miso, and some nutritional yeast - mix all of that together, and form sausages or patties, cook in a little oil), salad, carrot sticks, and a bread roll.

I did have ambitions of making proper burgers, but ran out of time and energy! It still looked lovely plated! (if not almost identical to one day last week!)

1 comment:

JoGillespie said...

The mushroom burgers were on Day 12, and I served them with rice salad. Same but different :-) 6 days ago...not quite the variety I'm aiming for, but I'm going to let myself off...