Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Okay, now I say Veeeeeeee-gan...but the Italians say vey-gan.

I seemed to spend a lot of today cooking and washing dishes. So much for keeping it simple.
Lunch was wonderful though! I wanted to make a beetroot soup, because in spite of claiming to hate beetroot, a vacuum pack of four steamed ones looked mighty good today. I found a recipe which called for vegetable broth, so I put a pot of water on the stove, added 2 carrots, a zucchini, some celery and parsley, and a little salt and got it boiling. When it was done, though, all those vegies looked pretty good, so instead of just using the water, I threw a potato in, waited ten minutes, then threw in the beetroot...cooked it for another ten minutes, then pureed the lot! Blow me down! What a bowl of energy that was! Brilliant red colour in the plate. A swirl of our oil on top, a few of those nutritional yeast flakes, and I was in Vegan Heaven! I rounded it out with a couple of bruschette, and I am glad I did...
because although after lunch I was bursting with energy, by the time 5.30 rolled around, I was CRABBY!
Mind you, that could have been because my dear wee boy is going through a "Loudest Boy In The World" phase.
Dinner was the roasted potato salad with the parsley pesto, which was definitely A KEEPER! Yummy. I also made a very simple grated carrot salad (just grated carrot, with an apple cider/olive oil dressing), and had bowls of sultanas and mixed seeds on the table for adding.
My find of the day was the Vegan Society of New Zealand website, and their recipe for fat-free, gluten-free vegan Brownies!!! I halved the recipe, and used Cannellini beans instead of black beans, because that was what I had on hand, and WOW!!!! I was sure the kids would turn up their noses, but NO...everyone came back for seconds, thirds...fourths...lucky I saved two for the kids' snack boxes tomorrow.
Now I am searching for a source of Agave syrup which doesn't involve a trip to the earth-friendly supermarket in Terni...

Day Three was a success food-wise, but mood-wise, not so much. Bearing in mind that my body is probably beginning some fairly serious de-tox process right about now (or probably right about 3 p.m. this afternoon, when the bad mood kicked in), I am NOT going to give up, but am going to ride it out, stick with it, and continue to enjoy this experiment. After all, IT IS ONLY THIRTY DAYS, and you can do anything for 30 days...

Please remember, if you read this blog, I love comments, and if you are a vegan, and have any advice, suggestions, great sites to visit...don't be shy now!

1 comment:

JoGillespie said...

Hi Happypop, and thanks for commenting. I just LOVE it when people comment.
As far as I know (and I'm basing this on the fact that my vegan cookbook, The Veganomicon, using it in some of the recipes), wine IS allowed. I used to think it wasn't, because of the yeast, but that would count bread out, too...
So much to learn. And good for you, going vego some of the time. Every little bit helps in saving the planet. Hugs!