Saturday, January 22, 2011

TWO WEEKS = A FORTNIGHT...one day before halfway.

And it was very nearly a cop-out! Saturday is the day we lunch with my hubby's parents, so this morning my mother-in-law came upstairs and said words which two weeks ago, would have been magic...
"Eggplant parmesan".

Uh-oh. I nearly caved! I confess!!! I very nearly caved in on the spot. I didn't know how to get out of it, given that "Melanzane alla parmiggiano" is known to be one of my all-time favourite dishes...

I KNOW I should just 'fess up to her, and explain what I'm doing, but there is NO WAY on God's Green Earth that she would A. understand, B. approve, and C. be able to avoid making MANY comments ...

There is enough going on in my life right now, and I don't want to add yet another cause of stress. So I am keeping my diet to myself.

Luckily she gave me an out, by saying "I'm doing pasta for the others." - So I asked very nicely (explaining that I am trying to eat "light" after discovering the hernia), if she wouldn't mind just doing pasta for me, too.

I could see that she wasn't happy, but luckily it was just a small tray of eggplant p. she'd taken out of the freezer, so it was okay just for mother and father-in-law. We had wholemeal pasta with a simple tomato sauce, followed by roast pumpkin and cardoons or cardi, which are one of my winter favourites. I had no room for fruit after that lot - so much for eating light!

This afternoon, our school hosted our annual Cambridge Speaking Examiner co-ordination, with the school from Terni which we always do it with, so it was off to Viterbo again. I got home late, and the kids were hungry, even though hubby wasn't. I could have copped out again, gotten by with just the leftover vegan quiche, but I looked in the fridge and all those vegies were beckoning me.

So, the quiche got finished, but we also had potatoes (if you chop them into small enough pieces, they only take 20 minutes to boil), carrot sticks and steamed broccoli. The kids had some cheese instead of the quiche because they didn't want any (and because the last piece was kind of small).

Fruit (Kiwifruit and mandarins) to finish, and there goes Day Fourteen.

Something I am really noticing is that I am having sugar lows much less often. I used to arrive home from a day like today, late, and get into the kitchen just ravenous, needing to eat - which meant that what I produced was quick and not very good for us. Now I get into the kitchen, but my blood sugars seem much more balanced, and I can focus on choosing good recipes or creating good dishes. Very positive side-effect!

No comments: