Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day one of a new fortnight...

I think I had too much to eat today :-) 

Lunch was wholemeal spaghetti with Puttanesca sauce. I sautéed a little garlic then added chopped black olives and capers, tomatoes and a little tomato paste, salt and pepper, and cooked that for about 20 minutes. 
As a "seconda", I made braised cabbage with cumin seeds, and a beetroot, orange and cannellini bean salad, which was so simple, yet delicious, it was a shame no-one else loved it (real shame! Meant I could eat more of it myself!
). 


Okay, so the beans went pink, but that didn't matter at all. I just chopped the cooked beetroots (four medium), two oranges, and about a cup and a half of cooked cannellini beans, then a simple vinegrette of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. So easy! 

And that was dinner, too. Leftovers :-) Hey, it's Sunday!! 

I'm still not missing any particular vegan-unfriendly foods, but I really am craving fruit! I don't know if it is because we're moving into the spring, and my body wants the vitamins, or if it is a side-effect of my body changing and having different requirements now. What I do know is that two Kiwifruit, an orange, some mandarins, and an apple are starting to sound like a complete meal. 

Taking a deep breath and diving into what is going to be a VERY busy week - deadlines all over the place, final edit of my book before I send it off to the RWNZ full manuscript competition...and the normal teaching load. I don't have a menu plan worked up yet, but I no longer think that matters! My fridge is stocked, my pantry is stocked, and we're good to go! 

No comments: