Saturday, February 19, 2011

Truffles, anyone?

Flash!!! I remembered that one of the reasons I began blogging about my vegan adventure was to develop a menu plan which I could recycle every four weeks, and never have to worry about meal-planning again. So WHY then, did I find myself at 6 p.m. on a Friday evening, on facebook SPECIFICALLY because I DID NOT know what was for dinner?
I can't answer that question.
However, it did prod me to look over the meals we'd had in the last month, and I managed to put together a passable dinner of Potato Parlsey Pesto Salad, carrot sticks and sautéed mushrooms. Wonderful stuff. My next task is to take all 30 days of Vegan Adventure posts, and actually CREATE the four week menu plan to work from. No problem - sure I can fit that job in somewhere.
Last night I also made Almond Milk in the Vegan Star. The recipe needs tweaking, as the resulting milk is quite runny. It left me with some almond pulp though, and I didn't want to throw it away, so....

Almond and Walnut Truffles

About a cup (maybe less...) of almond pulp
1/3 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup almonds
1/3 cup sultanas
1tbsp agave syrup
coconut for rolling

Use a food processor to chop up the walnuts, almonds and sultanas. Mix these with the almond pulp and agave syrup. Roll into balls, and roll in coconut. Put in fridge for 1-2 hours. Yummy, and dare I say it?...a little bit FANCY. :-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've GOT to try these. They look positively delicious!

susan said...

vegan fruit cake: a kg of dried fruit soaked in 2 c of either black coffee or orange juice overnight. in the morning stir in 2 c of self raising flour. if a bit dry add a bit more juice. cook in a greased cake tin in a slow oven until skewer comes out clean. about an hour depending on oven.
can add some mixed spice to flour if desired.

JoGillespie said...

Kimberly, yes, you DO, really! They're great!
Susan, thanks! Are you vegan, too, or do you just have to cook that way sometimes?

susan said...

not a vegan...not even a real vegetarian but I appreciate both kinds (or is that all kinds....) of diets! The meat/dairy free food i cook is more good luck than good management but fortunately my children like it...

susan said...

here's another kiwi thing to try....i made little toad in the holes tonight (in minimuffin tins) with a mushroom instead of a piece of sausage. so yum. not sure how you can make batter without an egg but it was so easy and quick. had it with mashed potato and some gravy...mmmm!

JoGillespie said...

THanks Mighty Acorns :-) Will try that too, although toad in hole has VERY bad memories for me.