Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 26 - A guilty vegan...

... but only guilty of missing a blog day! I was just so tired last night, all I could do was go to bed...so sorry!

However, I need to fill in the menu-plan gap for my own benefit, so today is almost two for the price of one...almost, but not quite, and I will explain why.

On Tuesday night, I put some beans on to soak. It was a mix of kidney, black, cannellini, and borlotti beans, and I soaked them all together. Yesterday morning, I rinsed them, brought them to the boil, then changed the water, not once, but twice during the cooking time (to avoid socially unacceptable side effects - and I must say it worked!). Then I left them to drain.

(Lunch was spaghetti with a simple herbed tomato sauce and nutritional yeast).

In the evening, I sautéed some spring onions, garlic, diced celery, carrots and zucchini. I added a little miso, then some red wine. Once that had reduced a little, I tipped the beans in, added some tomato paste and a little water,  some dried basil and oregano, and let that all simmer. I also made some wholemeal bread, as the carb/comfort on the side. It was a great rib-sticker of a meal for a cold evening.

Today I took the standard pasta, carrot and broccoli mix to work for lunch. There were plenty of beans leftover for hubby and I for dinner tonight (see, two for the price of one!), along with a mixed salad courtesy of mother-in-law (who also made her rabbit stew for the kids. Was I tempted? Only by the green olives she puts in it...I have a tin of green olives in the cupboard, and thought about opening them, but it wasn't worth it...) I think she put in some fresh garlic shoots or spring onion shoots (in the salad I mean) because it was powerful strong! :-) I apologise in advance to all those I must speak with or sit near tomorrow!

I feel like I'm ending the 30 day challenge with a whimper rather than a bang, but I realise that I've learned so much these past four weeks. The most important lesson is that, with planning and a little effort, being vegan is quite easy, very tasty, and hugely satisfying.

...the next four days will decide whether this is a more permanent change ...but I believe it is.

No comments: