Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 27 - still going strong.

Today was the second seminar for DELTA, so I got up at 5.30, got ready, had my yummy overnight oatmeal (ooops, not so overnight today, because I forgot to put it to soak...), then headed out to catch the train. It was only once I got on the train that I realised I'd forgotten to do anything about lunch! Double oops.

Never mind! The train station Termini in Rome has a lovely little supermarket (Despar) which, owing to its high tourist traffic, stocks all sorts of wonderful things for the hungry vegan. My lunch (on the train on the way back home) was the following: four small mandarins, 2 bananas and a packet of mixed nuts, with a bottle of water. Very fruitarian, I thought, even though a real fruitarian would only have eaten the mandarins, or the bananas...

Tonight I tried to do something with tofu. I cut it into slices (which, in hindsight, were too thin), and marinaded it in a mix of red wine, garlic, sage, basil, olive oil and a touch of shoyu. I turned it after 30 minutes, then left another 30 minutes. Then I laid the slices on a baking sheet, and baked them at 200°c for 20 minutes, turned them and baked them for another 10 (I was working from a recipe...). They tasted quite good, but were very tough - so next time I'll leave thicker slices, and perhaps bake them for less time. I am also going to experiment with different brands of tofu, until I can make my own. (that is for a future post...)

I served it with oven-baked potato wedges (yes, that is a repeat from earlier this week, but they were so good, and the kids asked for them...), and another type of braised kale, this time with spring onions, garlic, zucchini and red wine. Very tasty.

Fruit to finish and that was Day 27. I had a chat with mother-in-law, and she's promised not to put cheese anywhere near the risotto for tomorrow's lunch :-)

Off to write assignments, plan lessons, edit book, and hang out with hubby now...Rugby 6 Nations starts tonight!

No comments: