Monday, March 7, 2011

If you based your opinion of my teaching ability...

on today's lesson at the pre-school, you'd probably think "What the HECK is this person doing teaching kids?" What a disaster! Thank goodness I've had some wonderful lessons with this group recently, because otherwise I'd chuck in the towel RIGHT now!

Some comments I've had recently from the kids (in Italian) are "The English teacher is just so lovely." "English is really FUN!" and "The English teacher is really FUN and LOVELY!" - so I'm taking that to mean I'm doing something right (Thanks to Genki English!)
But discipline really is an issue. I know it isn't just me - both the PE teacher AND the Religion teacher are having problems, but today was diabolical. Let's blame it on the wind! - it is blowing a gale, and the sun is shining, so it is a Mad March kind of day.

What to do about a little one who does roundhouse kicks, followed by punches and slaps to anyone he can reach? Same fellow only stays in his chair for about two seconds at a time - and only gets out of his chair to kick and punch...today the teacher left the room, and there was an all-out brawl! I feel very ineffectual at moments like that, because even if I speak in Italian, they just won't listen, and won't stop. I can't even catch the fellow to put him in the Time-Out chair - not that he'd stay there.

I think I need some advice, but the teachers tell me I'm doing well (????) - today it doesn't feel like it.

______________________________________________________

If I wasn't vegan, I'd ask for some cheese with that WHINE! ;-)

On a brighter note, I hauled my comfortably-sized behind out of bed at 6 a.m., and did my Aerobics Arms DVD for 30 minutes! Today's challenge - TICK. I didn't want to do the orbital trainer today for two reasons...one is that my leg muscles were telling me they'd quite like a rest, and the second was that I didn't have my phone upstairs - no podcast = very boring workout = high likelihood of stopping after 10 minutes...

I can feel my triceps. :-)

2 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

Oh my goodness a class full of hyperactive children I can think of nothing worse, poor you. I blame the diet, some parents feed their children on pure E numbers!! Maybe you are too young but when my daughters were young there was a whole list of such numbers that one needed to avoid if you did not want hyperactive children.

JoGillespie said...

There are a number of kids with "Issues" in the class...and a couple of kids still recovering from the earthquake in Haiti. We are in need of a good Behaviour Management Plan...but it isn't forthcoming from those in charge. I just do what I can. Doesn't help that there are 27 kids in the class! From age 2.5 through to 6...
On the plus side, I think "If I can do THIS, I can teach anyone, anything, anywhere!" :-)