Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day Two of the Exercise Challenge.

We woke up too late to go to the mountain. I wasn't very sad about that - it meant I could fit in my 20 minutes on the Orbital Trainer before my shower. While pedalling away I try to increase my brain power (or at least my ability to answer pub quizzes!) by listening to podcasts from the lovely folks at Stuff You Missed In History Class and Stuff You Should Know. Today I learned all about quicksand - even though many old movies (and some not so old - Hi, Indie!) would like us to believe differently, it is actually fairly unlikely a human would die in quicksand - it usually just isn't deep enough. :-)
I needed to know that.
Yesterday I learned all about Richard the Lionheart - dreadful administrator, genius at war, which is why he spent most of his rule either crusading, or beating up on his should-have-been-father-in-law Phillip of France. Great fun - keeps me pedalling, otherwise I'd give up after 8 minutes (that's my boredom threshold limit for orbital trainer).

To make up my exercise regime to thirty minutes (you know the drill - "moderate exercise, thirty minutes at a time, three times a week, blah blah"), I vacuumed vigorously and washed the floors feverishly - it ended up adding another twenty minutes to my regime - bonus!

Legs - sore.
Knee - complaining.
Feeling - pumped :-)

And menu, because after all, this started as a vegan challenge, and morphed...
Lunch was the standard wholemeal pasta with herby tomato sauce, and dinner was a wonderful soup - thanks to my Dutch friend Arja for the suggestion!

Small onion
2 leeks
2 potatoes
4 carrots
1 celeriac bulb
250gr split green peas
4 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

I sautéed the onion and leeks in a little olive oil, then added the chopped vegies (diced), and garlic. Sweated them awhile, then added the washed peas (I didn't soak them), salt and pepper, and covered with 2 litres of water (which I had to top up later). Brought it slowly to the boil, and then let it simmer for an hour. I pureed mine, because I prefer a creamy soup. Served with nutritional yeast - delish! Hubby had his chunky, and also pronounced it "delish" - or rather, his seal of approval - a shrug and a "You could make it again." :-)

2 comments:

susan said...

i am yet to enjoy the delights of celeriac...thinking of growing it in my garden. my kids LOVE soup, and so may just have to try this one too!

The best thing i have for the exercise challenge I am on (apart from my red dancing shoes of course....) is a cycling group. 5 women from the village here, we meet once a week and circle the village on mountain bikes - about 6 km of up and down. fun too.

JoGillespie said...

I need to get a bike - although we are all uphill/downhill here...I'd have to put it on the roof rack and drive it somewhere flat while I was getting back into shape ;-)