Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Too hot to teach!

- let alone learn! Today the temperature hit 30 degrees, and inside the classroom, it was roasting. The little cherubs had been for a walk in the morning, up to the Piazza, to rehearse the play they're performing Friday evening. When I arrived, they were sitting quietly, drawing.
I had no intro from the teachers today, so it was a bit hard to begin. The Hello song got their attention (mostly), but it was really difficult to keep it. Then someone spilled water all over the floor, just as we were getting into the action songs, so it was "Everyone back to your table" - worksheet time.
I tried giving out stickers again today...same problem as the first time, in that my sticker pads are lovely, but all different, so many arguments about who got which sticker - and then they don't detach easily from the page so it took forever. Not to be repeated.
One girl cried because she asked me when English finished, and when I told her "tomorrow is the last lesson" - sobs...."I don't want English to finish!" Ah, sweetie.
Reflection points: The Wiggles are great for this age group, but only certain songs. The ones which work best are "Here Comes A Bear" (although I haven't bothered trying to teach them what a Wombat is!), "Rock-a-bye Your Bear", and "Five Little Ducks".
They only enjoy the worksheets when they can see a very clear reason for doing them. They didn't like today's at all, because there wasn't time to explain WHY they were doing it.
They know their colours, clothes, animals and sun/rain/hot/cold very well.
I'll be sad at the end of tomorrow's lesson.

4 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

Good morning Jo. I have just done some housework and now need to cool down so catching up on some blog reading, including your last few posts which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I hope you are enjoying this gorgeous weather and your break from the 'little cherubs'

JoGillespie said...

Hi LindyLouMac,
Yes, it really is toooo hot to be doing anything! I haven't posted for a while - I was doing the CELTYL course, and then got back to teaching adults...just going to sit and blog a bit now. Thanks for saying nice things about my blog! I'll be off to read yours soon!

Anonymous said...

What's The Wiggles?

JoGillespie said...

I'm so sorry that I'm only getting back to your question now! The Wiggles is an Australian group. Four men who met at Teachers' Training College. They write great music for very young children, with actions and dances. If you google The Wiggles, or look for them on youtube, you'll find them for sure!