Monday, June 7, 2010

Did you see that train go by?!

Whoosh! Stated aims for today's lesson were:
Children learn body parts - head, hands, feet
Children review clothes vocab - hat, shoes, trousers
Children enjoy completing a worksheet
Children learn a new song

What really happened:
I arrived at 2p.m., to find that the last yoga lesson of the year was still in session. This gave me time to set up the chairs in a semi-circle, at which point I discovered that I had left my poster of Lulu the Blue Kangeroo, with her handy pouch for flashcards, at home.
D. and G. also ran up to me, demanding a piece of the "yellow-tak" I use to attach posters to walls and flashcards to posters.
The children had taken off their shoes and socks for yoga, so we sang (well, I sang, and two children joined in) the "Put your shoes on" song. GOOD!
Then they sat on their chairs, and we sang the hello song - at which point they all stood up again (action song!), and it was very difficult to get them sitting again, of course! (predictable). REFLECTION: Perhaps at the point I had them all sitting, I should have skipped the Hello song, and moved straight to the flashcards (or even just given up on the lesson aims, and read a story they know and like).
To add to the confusion, there was a photographer, who was also videoing the lesson. Always nice to be informed of these things! <---- sarcasm.
I had the Cookie puppet, with a hat on his feet, which moved to his hands, and finally his head. This was a very involving way to introduce the new vocabulary. I also showed them a worksheet with Lulu and Cookie learning a new song. We clapped hands, tapped feet and nodded heads...and then did the song, which again involved standing up and doing actions.
I then wanted to hand out worksheets, and bless them! They actually started lining up in the train, to get their worksheets - hurrah for children and routines!
However, because we'd started late, it was then time to tidy up and get ready for the school bus, so the whole consolidation part of the lesson was consigned to "next time".
I quickly flipped to the goodbye song...
and to wrap up a totally confusing lesson, I then had to stay, as the teacher was called away by a parent, so I pulled out The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and read it, standing up, while they all sat at their desks with their backpacks on.
This was positive, though! I wondered how much they were really getting from the story - this is the third time I have read it, and one of the 6 year old boys usually seems very bored by it.
Not this time. A couple of other children stood up in front of me, and L. couldn't see. He asked the others to sit down (strongly), then came over and explained that if they didn't sit down, he and the others couldn't see, and that they wanted to enjoy the story as well! Yahoo! I'd call that a success.
So, I was in, done and out, hot and bothered, and just wondering what, if anything, I'd managed to teach them today...
but now that I've reflected, I think I can say they did learn something - or rather, they HAVE learned something in the time I have been there. Four more hours this week, and we have finished.

No comments: