Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What's happening in their heads?

I haven't posted for a while - things have been ticking over - or rather, just ticking, like a time-bomb, waiting to explode. The whole experience of teaching this preschool class is getting wrapped up in all the local politics whirling around us.

So, just a couple of things to note about my class. There are thirty children on the roll. I've never had that many at a time - usually more like 20-25. The older ones, the 6 year olds, and the 5-nearly-6 year olds are the ones which seem to be paying more attention, but sometimes the younger ones really surprise me.
My son is in the class, and he shares his table with little Mr F who is one of those boys who has a hard time sitting still, but he's quiet, and even if he doesn't like to be part of the crowd singing and dancing at the front of the class, I notice he is often doing the actions and mouthing the words from his seat at the back. My son always calls me "Mummy", of course. The others call me "Maestra d'Inglese" or just Jo. But when I went to Mr F.'s table to check he was able to do the work last week, he said "Mummy, non ho i colori." (I don't have the colours). He called me MUMMY! I loved that! Showed he's paying attention to the interaction (in English).
The second thing which suprised me this last week was a little Miss 5, who always wants to help me (so she can nab a bit of the yellow sticky stuff I use to stick the flashcards to the wall.) She sidled up to me the other day, with her usual "Maestra, posso aiutarti oggi?" (teacher, can I help you today?", and I said "Sure!". [not sure why I have slipped into this "sure" instead of "yes" business - may need to work on my teacher-talk!], and she turned to the class teacher, who was about to send her back to her seat and said (in Italian), "Teacher, she said "sure", and that means "yes"!". I was floored! She had picked that up only through context.
The last moment this week which had me smiling to myself was the brightest button in the class, a chatty, out-going Little Miss 6, who loves to do all the action songs, and often stands beside me, as a helper, demonstrating the movements. We have been doing clothes - hat, shoes and trousers. The song goes "Cookie, put your trousers on..." etc etc. They've learned the song, and repeated it ...
I pulled out the flashcards, and held up the picture of trousers, saying "What are these?". Little Miss 6 called out, excitedly "TROUSERS-ON!!!!"
*BLINK*
"Yes, trousers! - that's right!" (What am I doing to them???!)

No comments: