Monday, August 9, 2010

NaNoWriMo - not just November.

For those of you who don't know, National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) starts on November 1 every year, and ends on the last day of that month. The challenge is to write the first draft of a novel (at least 50,000 words) in that month. If you want more information, check them out at www.nanowrimo.org or on facebook under NaNoWriMo.
At the moment, as a way to keep us on our creative toes, they are running writing challenges, in the comments section of their fb wall, and today's was "Write a story that uses the words "happy" and "coffee" and is 50 words or less!"

So I thought I would cheat on my blog today, and just publish my entry :-) This year will be my third NaNo, and I am very excited about it - although this is the first year that I haven't had a single plot or character idea in the lead-up. I'm a little worried, but not too much, yet :-)

I'd love some comments about my wee story - perhaps THIS will spin out into the 50,000 for NaNo2010?
__________________________________

Just another day turned to cheap farce when Samson entered his usual coffee shop and found the waiter locked in an embrace with Sylvia. Perhaps she had forgotten that this was where Samson always had breakfast. Or else she was trying to show him that she was no longer happy.

__________________________________

4 comments:

JoGillespie said...

Perhaps "Just an ordinary day" rather than "Just another day...". Hmmmm

Paulette said...

very good and I can see that leading into a nano...mine was just one sentence...I'm happy if my morning doesn't start with the smell of coffee!

Paulette said...

...yes to your cooment

Anonymous said...

Love it Jo. I am off to find their facebook wall page now, for the start of inspiration. But I haven't decided about November yet.