Monday, December 20, 2010

Ravioli - because I can.

It's about time I added a post about "life in Italy", instead of always teaching, teaching, teaching. Today's my first official day of the Christmas holidays, and the children are still at school until Wednesday. Three days for catching up on writing, studying, housework etc.
My daughter requested Ravioli for lunch today ("NOT tortellini, Mum! Spinach and Ricotta ravioli.") Well, it's nearly the holidays, she's a great kid, so I thought, "Why not?"
Then I found that our local shop only had TORTELLINI, NOT Ravioli! They did have ricotta, though, and I had the day off. Again I thought "Why not?"

I started with two cups of flour and two eggs, and made the dough. It was a little dry, but that doesn't matter.
  I began rolling it through the machine...(the machine that my mother-in-law got as a wedding present!)
First pass


Second pass

Third pass
Fourth pass

About the sixth pass, I think
Almost too long for the table



The filling - ricotta, spinach, nutmeg, salt, pepper and parmeggiano

Beginning construction

Putting the lids on

And enough pasta left over to make fettucine!



In the end, with two cups of flour and two eggs (plus the ricotta and spinach, etc), I made 28 large ravioli and enough fettucine for two adults (probably). Then I made some simple tomato sauce, and lunch was ready. It took about an hour to make, with a few facebook pauses. I'll post pics of the cooked ravioli in the next post.

No comments: