Thursday, November 11, 2010

Instant warmer for PET

I started with a new PET prep class today, at one of the local high schools. Lovely school - run by nuns, and the English teacher is switched on and speaks very well. I have sixteen students, probably all about 15 and 16 years of age. A good mix of boys and girls, and all at about the same level (with the obvious gradings of ability).

I only have them for an hour at a time, once a week, for 24 hours in total. That isn't much time, when you consider that I am preparing them for all three parts of the exam (Reading/Writing, Listening and Speaking). Usually our job is just to prepare them for Listening and Speaking. We decided to use Skills Booster 4, by Alexandra Green (published by New Editions, HEINLE CENGAGE Learning), because it is a short course, and covers the four skills very nicely, and is also aimed at the appropriate age group.

As I was preparing the first lesson yesterday, I had one of those completely blank moments - I just KNEW there was something I usually do at the beginning of a PET Prep class, but I couldn't force it from the dark recesses of my currently-overtaxed brain...

Until I got into the classroom, of course! Ta-dah! I immediately discarded the completely lame idea I had planned as a warmer, and put them into groups. Then I wrote up some questions about the exam on the board : How many papers are there? How many parts in Reading? How many in Writing? How many words do you write in Part 2 Writing? In Part 3? How much time do you have for Reading/Writing? How much time for Listening? Where do you write your answers for Listening? How many people at a time do the Speaking Exam? How many examiners are there?

I negotiated a time limit (5 minutes) and set the timer, then let them at their handbooks....

They really got into it, and although no group answered all the questions, it familiarised them with the handbook, and with the exam.

And then we got on with the Skills Booster book, lesson one.

And I am well pleased with the book! It is just the right level. Gave them a confidence boost right from the get-go, and I think it is going to be a great group to work with.

No comments: