Saturday, May 22, 2010

Out of Context

Today while shoe-shopping (lucky me!) with my friend (double lucky me!), I met up with one of my pre-school kiddies. He's one of the stars of the class - not for any particular ability, but because he always seems to have a blast. And because he always draws an extra picture just for me, with his name written on it. With his dark curly hair, and big brown eyes, he reminds me a lot of my little brother at that age - especially when he lights up with his cheeky grin.
I first spotted his mamma, and although I recognized her as one of the mums, I couldn't connect her with the correct child, until I saw D. I was so happy - I just blurted out "Hello D!".
He freaked out! It was kind of funny, but it made me wonder about the psychology of it - I still have a lot to learn! He had been running towards me, but when he saw me, he froze, then started running away from me, while looking for...perhaps his dad, or mum. I hope I didn't scar him - I'm sure that it was just that I was totally out of the context in which he knows me. Now I can't wait to see him on Monday, to see what his reaction will be.
As to the shoes - I had (yes HAD) to get new shoes for a Baptism tomorrow. C. the Miracle Baby is getting Christened, and we are all invited. I went in looking for heels...I have a very pretty dress, and wanted something really pretty to match. There were some REALLY special shoes, in a pale lilac with flowers at the toes, and a 4 inch heel...I put them on. They fit. They were beautiful.
Then I remembered my promise to my husband - "you can relax....I will look after Liam. Don't worry about a thing."
I took off the heels. You can't run after a 4 year old Liam in 4 inch heels. Well, not without falling over and ruining your pretty dress, anyway.
Luckily, my friend has an eagle eye for JUST the right shoe....a beautifully flat, just-the-right-shade-of-purple ballerina.
I left the shop on a real shoe-high. But still wondering about what goes on in the mind of a 5 year old, when confronted with a teacher completely out of context.

3 comments:

Paulette said...

I get the same reaction every Tuesday morning from gorgeously sweet A. when he sees me as I walk to the other school. So worry not, it isn't you!

Unknown said...

Hahaha shoe shopping I still cant believe that my car decided to park outside shoe sale when you where with me now shoe shopping with you in Italy that would be an exerience my favourite shoes are Italian of course

JoGillespie said...

Rowena, wasn't that a magical day? Every time I wear those shoes, I think of you! How are your plans coming along for coming over? I'd love to take you shoe shopping...or any other kind of shopping!